Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Strawberry Cupcakes

I've made strawberry cupcakes before using a "Sprinkles" Cupcake recipe I found on the internet. It's turned out pretty good, just a bit of a denser cake..I wanted something fluffier and lighter. Then I saw a different strawberry cupcake recipe in Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book. The picture looks so good I decided to try this recipe, since there are a few differences between the two recipes.


Martha uses cake flour in addition to all purpose. The Sprinkle's recipe uses fresh strawberry puree while Martha uses finely chopped fresh strawberries.



I made these this morning, however, didn't like the way they turned out. I didn't put enough batter into the cupcake liners because these don't rise much at all, so they looked a bit empty.

:( and the cupcake did taste like the Sprinkle's recipe, maybe not as much strawberry flavor since it was just chunks. Call me crazy, but when I'm not content, I right the wrong. :) so I made more strawberry cupcakes, this second time from the Sprinkle's recipe. I've scoured the internet for a different one, but I guess this one is the best thus far!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners. set aside.

Place strawberries in a small food processor and puree.


You should have 1/3 cup of puree. Save extra for frosting. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla and strawberry puree. set aside.


In mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.

With mixer on low, slowly add half of the flour mixture, mix until blended. Add milk mixture, mix until blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture. Mix until blended.


Divide batter evenly among cupcake liners. Bake until tops are dry to touch approx 22-25 mins. Transfer cupcake pan to wire rack and let cupcakes cook completely before frosting.


Much better! :) Makes a dozen cupcakes.

Ingredients for Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes
-2/3 cups whole fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
-1 1/2 cup all purpose flour, sift
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp coarse salt
-1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
-1 tsp pure vanilla extract
-1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
-1 cup sugar
-1 large egg, room temperature
-2 large egg whites, room temperature

I used a strawberry buttercream:
-1/2 cup whole frozen strawberries, thawed
-1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
-pinch of coarse salt
-3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
-1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Puree the strawberries. (I actually used fresh strawberries). In a mixer with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed and slowly add sugar, beat well until combined. Add vanilla and 3 tbsps strawberry puree, mix until just blended. Do no overmix. Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream.



Here it is! Enjoy! :)

1 comment:

  1. OHHHH! I WANT THAT! I dare you to drop that off for me! -SEY

    ReplyDelete