Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cookies and Cream (oreo) Cupakes

I had leftover oreos from the mummy lollipops so I looked up a recipe for Cookies and Cream cupcakes. I think it's funny that they're called this because really, the cupcake itself is just a chocolate cake, with an oreo in it, and the frosting has crumbled oreos in it. When I thought of cookies and cream cupcakes, I thought the cake would be, like the ice cream. Hahaha. But I guess, how would you make that? I went with a recipe from the Bakerella website, the originator of the cake pops. To tell you the truth, I'm a visual person..like when buying products, I don't look at what it can do, or the price, but I'm drawn to products that I think are pretty or look nice. Same goes with recipes. I pick the ones that have the best pictures. hahaha. Yes, I also try to compare recipes, but mostly against other recipes with pretty pictures. Yes, I discriminate. Yes, I am bias. I only hope that mine will turn out just as pretty. Is that so wrong?? :)

To start, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12 count cupcake pans. Place one whole cookie in each cup or break apart at least 12 cookies and place the broken pieces into each cup. I made mine with the whole cookies. I like the way the whole cookie rises to the top of the batter as it bakes.


Mix the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl using a wire whisk. Add the eggs, oil, vanilla and milk and mix well until thoroughly combined. Add the hot water and mix until combined.


Transfer the batter (it will be very liquid) to a large measuring cup and then pour batter into each baking cup so it’s about three quarters full (I did 3/4 full but the batter doesn't rise too much, so I suggest just a tad bit more than 3/4 so that the cupcake can rise to the rise for the perfect cupcake).


Bake for 16-18 minutes. the recipe says it makes at least 12 cupcakes but I made 24.

Ingredients for Cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa
1 1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup hot water
24 Oreos, plus more for crumbs

The frosting used is a shortening base instead of a regular buttercream because with shortening, it keeps it whiter so that the specks of the crumbled oreos in the frosting stands out more.

Ingredients for Frosting

1 cup shortening
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-6 Tablespoons milk
2 or more teaspoons Oreo cookie crumbs

Beat the shortening in a mixer until smooth. Add vanilla and mix until combined.
Add the powdered sugar in three additions, scraping down the sides after each addition. Add a Tablespoon of milk at a time and mix together until you achieve the consistency you like. (I used about 5 tbsp) Add the cookie crumbs and mix until completely combined.


Place frosting in a decorator bag with a 1M tip and swirl on top of each cupcake. Insert a cookie on top of each cupcake.



I think they turned out pretty cute! :) It's a good tasting cupcake too! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment