Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Banana Walnut Bread

I love using my over ripe bananas to make banana bread. It's yummy, better than brown, mushy bananas..you really can't eat those on its own. I've made banana bread before, from a recipe off of the internet that was delicious-moist and full of banana flavor. So I've kept that recipe and used it over and over.

So today, there were three overly riped bananas on my counter. But my BF and I argued over using my original recipe. Because it used sour cream in it. He hates sour cream. But then again, he hates cream cheese, butter, anything creamy or saucy or any beef or pork and he's allergic to crab and lobster. Oops, off topic. :) So anyways. I had to find another recipe..this one came from the Food Network website from their own kitchen. Let's see how this compares to the sour cream version!! I'm skeptical but, compromises right? :P

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl, set aside.


Whisk the eggs and vanilla together in another bowl set aside. Lightly brush a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan with butter.


In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with an electric hand-held mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually pour the egg mixture into the butter while mixing until incorporated. Add the bananas,


(the mixture will appear to be curdled, so don't worry), and remove the bowl from the mixer.


With a rubber spatula, mix in the flour mixture until just incorporated. Fold in the nuts.


Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.


Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Cool the bread in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Turn the bread out of the pan and let cool completely on the rack.



It turned out pretty good. :) I think the sour cream makes it just a bit more moist, but to have it a little healthier, I guess I can do with this version. enjoy!!

Ingredients

-1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon fine salt
-2 large eggs, at room temperature
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for preparing the pan
-1 cup sugar
-3 very ripe bananas, peeled, and mashed with a fork (about 1 cup)
-1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces

No comments:

Post a Comment