Sunday, October 2, 2011

Black and White cookies

I have this book called the cookie book that I've had since forever.


I don't really remember when I even bought it..I just remember that I've had it since I was living at home..maybe in college? There's a few recipes that I've tried and really liked, and this was one of them. I first saw a black and white cookie in New York City at a random bakery. I liked that it was frosted black and white-two of my favorite "colors." haha. I actually haven't made these since back at my parents house. I love the cakey texture of these cookies.


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper:


oh by the way, I got two new baking sheets finally!!! real aluminum, no rust..I used to use non stick cookie sheets and silpats and all that fancy stuff, but the cookies I baked, including this recipe, would spread too much in the oven and nothing would keep it's shape. These are great!! (thanks for the tip W!!)


In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Don't forget to scrape the bowl.


Beat in the eggs and egg yolks one at a time. Add yolk. In small bowl, sift the cake flour, all purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine. On low speed, add the dry ingredients and mix until just combine to a smooth consistency.


Scoop the batter using 1.5 inch ice cream scoop, leveling off the top before dropping mounds onto the baking sheets, about two inches apart.


I ended up with twelve cookies on one sheet. twenty four cookies total. Bake one tray at a time for about 15 minutes or until the centers spring back when lightly touched. Let sit for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Be careful not to overbake!


Melt the chocolate and frost half of the cookie (bake sure you turn the cookie around and frost the flat side). Mix together the hot water, confectioners sugar and vanilla. Adjust consistency by adding more sugar (for thicker) or more water
(to thin out), then frost the other half. There you have your black and whites!!!


Ingredients:

4 ounces (1 stick) unsalked butter, softened
3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 large egg yolks, room temperature
1 tsp milk
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salk

For frosting
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
2 3/4 cups confectioners sugar
5 tablespoons boiling water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 comment: