Tuesday, January 17, 2012
I have a whole bag of lemons that I was going to use for something, which I completely forgot, and now, I have to use them up! So I've been looking for recipes and found this one on a blog site for lemon glazed cookies. Looked good, baked it and mmm it was delicious!!! It has a soft and a bit crumbly texture, and the lemon glaze is not too sweet, and just enough tart. Perfect combination! Even my health conscious BF ate like a bunch of them and couldn't stop..I caught him sneaking them into his mouth at random times. Hhaha.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
4-5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 35o degrees F. Line two baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, add granulated sugar and lemon zest. Rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers, until fragrant.
4. Beat butter and sugar/lemon mixture together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
5. Slowly beat in flour mixture on low speed until blended. Drop dough by tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
6. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies are just set and slightly golden brown. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 2 minutes and transfer to cooking racks. Cool completely.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice. I tried to dip each cookie top into the lemon glaze but the cookies are a bit crumbly and delicate so instead I put the cooling racks on top of the cookie sheets and drizzled the glaze over them with a spoon. Let cookies sit until icing has set.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies