Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tres leche cupcakes

I had some heavy cream left over from my last project so I went searching for a recipe that can use up my heavy cream. I consulted my trusty Martha Stewart cupcakes book and viola! I found this recipe for tres leche cupcakes. Although I'm not a huge fan of tres leche cake (I feel like it's just a soggy cake in the end) but actually these taste moist instead of soggy. And the key is to serve them room temperature. I brought them to a BBQ and to work and they were gobbled up. I brought along fresh whipped cream to top it off too. (which sounds more impressive than actually making it..easy!) Sorry I don't have better pictures of the end product [sometimes I get lazy :( or forget! ].


Ingredients
6 large eggs, separated
1/4 tsp. of baking soda
1/4 tsp. of salt
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), melted and cooled
1 cup of all-purpose flour, sifted
1 can (12 ounces) of evaporated milk
1 can (14 ounces) of sweetened condensed milk (1 1/4 cups)
3/4 cup heavy cream
whipped cream and ground cinnamon, for garnish

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 325oF.

Line muffin pans with cupcake liners. With an electric mixer, over medium speed, whisk together the egg whites, baking soda and salt until soft peaks form.


Reduce speed to low. Add the egg yolks and sugar. Whisk until completely combined.


Then, mix in the flour in three or four batches, mixing by hand (carefully, so as not to break the precious air bubbles that will add volume to the cupcakes) until the mixture is well blended.




Pour the batter into the paper-lined muffin pans, filling them only a little halfway through. You don't want this to rise over the cupcake liners, because later you will need to brush them with the milks..and you don't want the milks to overflow!



Bake the cupcakes in a preheated 325oF oven for 25 minutes, rotating halfway through. Remove from oven. Immediately poke holes in tops of cupcakes with a skewer.


Whisk together together evaporated milk, condensed milk and the heavy cream. With cupcakes still in pan, brush milk mixture over cupcakes, repeating until all the liquid has been used. (I actually probably used half the mixture. I taste tested about half way through because I didn't want the cupcakes to get too soggy or sweet and it tasted great already!) Allow cupcakes to absorb the mixture, at least 30 minutes (or up to 1 day in the refrigerator, wrapped tightly in plastic once completely cool; bring to room temperature before serving...this is important!)


For the whipped cream, whisk two cups of heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add 1/4 cups confectioner' sugar, sifted and whisk until combined. If not using immediately, whipped cream can be refrigerated. covered tightly, up to 3 hours in an airtight container. :) Dust with cinnamon for a final touch.


Enjoy! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment