Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Vanilla Spritz Cookies

I got this Williams Sonoma cookie press as a Christmas present like two years ago.

I tried to use it for some hearts valentines day cookies with the butter cookie recipe included, but I hated the way the hearts looked after it was baked and it was a dry cookie. So I chucked it and put my press away. So I found the press while digging through my stash of baking stuff and thought I can make some Christmas cookies with it! I looked up a basic spritz cookies recipe and found a basic vanilla cookie dough from Martha Stewart.

Ingredients
-3 cups all-purpose flour
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2 sticks unsalted butter
-1 cup sugar
-1 large egg
-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture, and beat until combined.

Follow the directions for the press..I don't like this apparatus. They make it sound so easy, load the dough and press it once..but that's not how it happens. I was fighting with it the whole night, trying to get the dough onto the cookie sheet (do not use parchment paper, the dough sticks better onto a cookie sheet) and if the dough is too dry (you will know if it doesn't stick to the pan)..knead dough to soften. Bake at 350 degrees until firm, 12 to 14 minutes.


..but the cookies turned out cuter than I thought and they were pretty yummy!
Christmas wreaths!
snowflakes
stars

Enjoy!!

2 comments: